Thursday, January 29, 2009

Potty Training 101

We have been trying to potty train Carter for about 4 months now, but only just a little here and there. Last night Luke and I decided that it was TIME to start really buckling down and getting him to commit to say good-bye to being a baby and moving on to becoming a BIG BOY! So I decided to make a little potty training "manual" for kicks and giggles.
************************************************

I CAN SAVE MONEY
Has anyone ever had to buy 4 different sizes of diapers at one time? I know what you are thinking...you didn't realize that my 3 kids AND Luke wear diapers- it is something we don't advertize a lot, but Luke still pees his pants- just kidding. What I would never kid about is that I DO have to buy 4 different sizes of diapers. I have to buy Size 1 for Cienna, Size 5 Generic Brand for Caden during the day and Size 4 Overnight Diapers for Caden during the night because that kid sleeps like 12-14 hrs per night and trust me- he fills those diapers to the brim, AND I have to buy Size 6 diapers for Carter. I have had friends say "Wow- I didn't realize they make diapers that big" Anyway, so my diaper budget each month is VERY EXPENSIVE. So potty training 1 kid will cut back about $45 per month.


BOOKS ABOUT POTTY TRAINING
I enjoy reading to my kids and they seem to have a book for every subject out there. Carter likes the one that has sound and you can hear a toilet flush and if you listen really close, you can hear a little fart as well and then the boy laughs. (Carter loves that part) Here are a few of my favorite reading materials about potty training. :)


ASK FOR ADVICE AND HELP
I immediately called my sister Cathi who has potty trained 4 boys and 1 girl and who is a creative thinker when it comes to pretty much anything. She said "Go to the store and buy a gumball machine and fill it up with gumballs, then put pennies in a clear cup next to it. Everytime Carter goes in the potty, he gets to put a penny in the machine and turn the knob and get a gumball"- I love the idea, so first thing this morning I went to Big Lots (I know- "White Trash"- but I love that place) and got a gumball machine. Carter loves gum, pennies, and putting pennies in things. So this was the best idea for little Boo. My sister is pretty much a genius! :)



"Old School" Ideas Can Work Too
I also used an old school idea that almost everyone uses- that is a sticker chart. There is probably a reason why everyone uses this, hopefully because it works! For Carter I told him that when he fills up the whole card, he gets to go to the store and pick out some new underwear. I know he will choose "CARS" underwear. That kid is obsessed.



Believe That This Will Work!
I have a hard time believing that Carter can actually pull this off- but I have to keep positive. Maybe there is a part of me that doesn't want him to grow up and be out of diapers? Cause diapers are the last thing that keeps him "my baby". Well, like my sister-in-law Texie tells her oldest Garrett- "You will always be my baby".

I had him put his ELMO big boy pants on and wanted to take his pic. He wasn't too happy about it at first-can't you tell?


Being shy about getting his pic taken-

He DID NOT want to lift his shirt up- go figure!
Yes folks, this is his little butt- or should I say "no butt"


Smiles And Easier Days Are Sure To Come
I have to remember that perseverance with this task will definately pay off in the end. Remembering to ask him every 15-20 minutes "Carter, do you have to go potty?" will definately be hard to do, but eventually we will all be happier that our little 3-year old can use the potty like a big boy.

8 comments:

Scott and Mandi said...

I loved this post! You are hilarious girl! Man, Luke REALLY needs to stop peeing his pants!! It would REALLY help with the diaper bill! :) I know- potty training is a challenge but Carter will do it. He's a smart little guy. We love all of you guys so much!

Angie said...

Yes it does get annoying having to ask all the time if they have to go, but so worth it in the end. When you master Carter I'll let you potty train Ashlyn

Allison Barnes said...

Sounds like it should be a breeze... you've got a great system in place. good luck!!

Texie said...

GO CARTER! we are cheering for you little buddy.

Susanna Landon said...

It won't be long. You have great ideas and for me it took buckling down. Blake finally realized that he was not going to win the battle and was tired of wet pants. Stick to it even if you want to quit because that's when you know that are about done.

Cassie and Sam said...

May the force be with you! The end result is worth the headache, so stick with it!

Tasha said...

Good luck, good luck, good luck! I loved all your information and ideas. Seriously, you have some good ones there. Just don't be discouraged if it takes time. From my experience with Tanner and talking with all my friends who have boys it seems that 90% of boys struggle with potty training. But, they do get it eventually. So, just say, hang in there. It will be worth it in the end though. I think you have so many good ideas you have a good chance. :)

Kayc said...

HA HA HA!!! I loved this post Edie. It was a good one. Good luck with that. Love ya girl!