Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Some Good Advice

My Pediatrician (Dr. Salazar) and I have kind of a "love-hate" relationship. The reason why I say this is mainly because she thinks I am CRAZY to have adopted 3 children so close together. Everytime I take one of the kids in for a check-up, she always says something like (in her very thick accent) "Edie- what were you thinking- aye aye aye-do you want all 3 kids?- do you sleep at night?- do you ever get a break?- does your husband get quiet time when he comes home from work?" And, everytime I try to explain to her as calmly as I can something along these lines- "Dr. Salazar- with adoption you don't have much control over planning your family. We knew we wanted children, and through the miracle of adoption, we are blessed to have 3! Then usually she shakes her head and mumbles something under her breath as she writes something in the chart.

Well, today I took Caden and Cienna in for their check-ups, she said something to me that struck me more than anything has in a very long time. She said "Edie, your kids will grow up fast, so my advice is hold them as much and for as long as you want to. Hold them for hours if they will let you, because there will come a day that they won't want you to hold them, and then you will wish that you had this time back." Those simple words of advice struck me and made me realize that I need to cherish every moment I have with my 3 little miracles, because time does go by so very quickly.

I posted some pics of my children- most are of the very first times I held them-so starting today, I am recommitting myself to hold them for as long as they will let me.






9 comments:

Tiffany said...

That's so true! They grow up so fast! You guys are so blessed to have 3 beautiful children! Can't wait to see them!

Anonymous said...

Very good advice! It's too easy to forget how fast they are growing. I love that your children are even closer than mine! You inspire me... if you can survive 3 in less than 3 years, I can handle 4 in 5 years, right? You're awesome, girly!

J, E, M & I said...

That is awesome advice! Adoption is such a blessing...

Scott and Mandi said...

I loved this post! I'm also going to re commit myself to holding them more! You're such a good mom! I don't know how you do it! Love you guys!

Heywood Clan said...

Thank you for posting this! It is such a great idea for all of us to recommit ourselves. It is so easy to get caught up in our everyday life and forget that they will not want us to hold them forever.

Holly said...

That is so cool and yes you are so blessed to have 3 beautiful kids! I love that advice, I needed to hear that too!

Texie said...

I loved this Edie! It makes me cry. It is so true and I know that I am guilty of not holding as much as I should. Life gets really busy! I am going to do this too. Great advice!

Cassie and Sam said...

So True!!!!! I held my babies so much and never let anyone tell me that I was spoiling them. Such a precious time, soak it up. I plan on holding your babies 24/7 when I get there. 2 weeks!!!! WaHoo!

Tasha said...

Oh, that made me tear up. It really is so true. I keep reminding myself to just enjoy these days. Tuff or good.